Wednesday, May 18, 2011

no, bitch, i would NOT like a children's menu.

one of my biggest pet peeves is being assumed that I am not 22. alright. maybe i don't look like I am 22. maybe i look a few years younger. i understand needing to show my id when i am buying a drink or buying alcohol at the grocery store. maybe i don't look like a college graduate. maybe i don't even look like a college student. BUT I DO NOT LOOK LIKE I AM 12. so the next person that assumes something about my age is going to get a huge piece of my mind.
there is a quote that says something along the lines of you're only as old as you feel. what if your age wasn't determined by the number of years that youve been alive but instead in the moments that you've lived. how you lived. what you've lived through. all i'm saying is that if that were true, no one would assume i'm 22. people would assume i was 40. i think age should be more transient. aren't there times when we all act like high school girls gossiping or get college drunk or put off doing chores around the house like a child. personally, there are days when i really just need to throw a huge tantrum like a toddler. there are other days when i buy groceries and clean the house and tend to other tasks like a house wife. don't we all act every age in order to function? i don't know i just think that a life should be measured in more than age but in maturity, experience and love. Measure your life in seasons of love. 

people always tell me, "well looking young will be a great thing when you're older!" and this brings me no comfort at all. it brings a mental image of me in line at Publix with my first born getting stares from the woman in front of me thinking, "poor girl is 16 and already has a child." no, that's not going to be "a great thing."
to the idiot at Pappadeaux who asked the people I was with for lunch if I would like a children's menu, this is what i have to say to you: "no, bitch, i would not like a children's menu. actually, i just graduated. from COLLEGE. did you do that? oh, would you like a diploma? too bad." Okay, just kidding I won't do that. Just know that I believe that life should be measured in seasons of life. Your age doesn't actually mean anything.

"in daylights, in midnights. in cups of coffee. in inches, in miles. in laughter, in strife. how do you measure a year in the life? how about LOVE? measure in love. Seasons of love. Share love, give love, spread love. Measure your life in love." -RENT

2 comments:

  1. I just read some of your blog for the first time and i love it. I can totally relate to so many things...I am so jealous of you being in Europe!! But I like this post especially. Once I was on LUNCH DUTY at Northridge High School and the administrator joked that I looked like I should be eating lunch with the kids in the cafeteria. I wanted to tell him he looked like he should be eating in the retirement home. And then ask him when it became polite or professional to comment about a person's age. Anyway, glad someone understands my sentiments about this. Don't worry, you are obviously wise beyond your years and that's all that counts. Hope to see you soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww thanks Allison! I am having awkward age moments at least once a week it seems. Yesterday before going to a nice dinner, Dad said to me, "Do you want your id?" and i said, "i hope i don't get id-ed. the drinking age here is like, 12." to which he just gave me a look like, "that was my point." so i grudgingly went back into the room and got my id. and i cant STAND when people say, "you'll appreciate that when you're older." will i? because im sure that being mistaken as a pregnant high school student when i'm married bringing in a 4 or 5 digit paycheck, i'll be JUST as annoyed... anyways, glad you stopped by! please come back and comments make me oh so happy!

    ReplyDelete