Saturday, June 18, 2011

hakuna matata, it's a wonderful phrase.

Since I left my sunglasses in the car, it got sunny. 
Eating dinner outside after a full jam packed day, I said, "wow, I'm so glad we had good weather today and that it didn't rain." literally, 30 seconds later, raindrops starting falling. 
The best thing about traveling, is that the most ordinary things can appear extraordinary. The things that you would find extremely frustrating in your own state, are viewed as an adventure in foreign lands. Yesterday, as dad was driving out of the parking deck, I seriously thought we were going to wreck at any second. An underground parking deck with a spiral exit when you're in a huge company stick-shift van is a frightening combination, trust me. Then we got to the exit and our ticket wouldn't work. I announced that if he intended on backing down that spiral we barely got up, I was not participating. It all proved to work out just fine though. 
I don't know when the last time was that you watched The Lion King, but tell me those 4 minutes didn't just brighten your day significantly!

In Ghent, Belgium last week, we parked somewhere and just winged it. We couldnt read the Flemish signs worth a damn, so we shrugged our shoulders and didnt let it stop us from seeing the city. Our van could have been impounded while we were in a museum. But the point is- it wasn't. After all, how true is it that most of the things you worry about NEVER happen?!

I need to take this lackadaisical attitude back with me. Life is an adventure. Take risks! Maximize time, resources and engergy. Don't sweat the small stuff. Do what you can now and save some things for later. I love the Rick Steve's phrase he puts in all his travel books, "Assume you will return." Its key to relaxing and ensuring that you breathe and enjoy what's in front of you. Yet, with that, comes responsibility of  capitalizing on opportunities at your disposal. There are thousands of thoughts worthy of filling your mind over worries about what other people think, do, what may or may not happen or what that sign says in that language you can't read.
There was no point in worrying whether or not we were ever going to get out of that parking deck. Bask in the present. It's going to work out. It almost always does somehow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment