Sunday, April 24, 2011

a king of man? it makes no sense.

“It’s not that I believe, exactly. It’s just that, as with most acts of faith, I can’t afford not to.” –Jodi Picoult, Vanishing Acts

You know, every once in a while I am suddenly struck with how ridiculous "the story" is, the gospel that many of us have built our entire lives around. I can't decide if the ridiculousness makes it easier to justify worshipping Him or if the ridiculousness makes it harder to believe. It's nice on days like this to be reminded of the whole thing- from start to finish. The prophets said He was coming, He was born to a carpenter, He knocked over tables in a synagogue, turned water into wine, fed 5,000 with a few loaves of bread, healed the sick, and preached words that have sustained generations and will continue for years to come. He sat in the garden of Gesthsemane ready for the next step. Then came the arrest, trial and death. And from the grave He rose VICTORIOUSLY.

I've been thinking about the Jews, the enduring antisemitism, what role they played in the crucifixion, the "stories" that I was taught in Sunday School and how differently many faiths that are based on biblical stories and Jesus are celebrating Easter today, how history has changed those celebrations. For someone who's been completely inundated with such a foundation of the Bible, I am finding I know very little. What's that quote, the more I learn, the less I know? I am really looking forward to finding answers to the questions nagging at me that I do not have the time to dive into these days. So, faithful readers, I just wanted to warn you that posts are to follow on a great exploration of religious philosophy.

Of the many things that I love about Dave Matthew's lyrics, I love the random lines that speak to his doubts on God, religion, and Jesus. From Why I Am (blog title) to The Last Stop, he poses questions that are worthy of thinking about any day, especially Easter. Christmas Song outlines the whole story and reminds me, even with cynicism, his sacrifice was all about: love. "The people He knew were less than golden-hearted. Gamblers and robbers, drinkers and jokers, all soul searchers. Like you, and me. Searching for love, love, love."


1 comment:

  1. One of my favorite things about my Faith are those times of doubt... and when I lack assurance. No matter how difficult, I learn something- and always find something I don't know. Love the Jodi quote. Love it.

    ReplyDelete