Monday, January 31, 2011

I guess we're all one phone call from our knees


Hearts are worn in these dark ages 
You're not alone in this story's pages 
Night has fallen amongst the living and the dying 
And I try to hold it in, yeah I try to hold it in 
The world's on fire and
It's more than I can handle 
I try to bring more 
More than I can handle 
Bring it to the table
Bring what I am able
I watch the heavens and I find a calling 
Something I can do to change this moment 
Stay close to me while the sky is falling 
Don't wanna be left alone, don't wanna be alone 
Hearts break, hearts mend
Love still hurts 
Visions clash, planes crash 
Still there's talk of saving souls

Still the cold is closing in on us
We part the veil on our killer sun
Stray from the straight line on this short run 
The more we take, the less we become 
A fortune of one that means less for some 

(Sarah Mclachlan)

this is what i would call a shitty day by definition. Everything was fine until I got news that a dear friend of mine is facing deportation in Vienna. I don't even want to give details because I am emotionally spent, but just know that someone on the other side of the world is hurting and in trouble and I am here. Stressed about reading for all my classes tomorrow. I am sick of reading about the favelas in Brazil (Click here to read more.) I am sick of reading about bad news. I am sick of watching the world fall apart on TV. I just want to get out there and fix it. Claro que sí, I cannot "fix" it, but the world is on fire. I just want to be out there helping. DOING something. If you ask me what I want to do with my life, the answer is "I have no fucking clue." But there is one thing I do know. I will be helping people.
Here are pictures from the first time I ever met Daniel and the last time I was with him just a few months ago. I cannot imagine what he is facing, I cannot imagine being in his shoes. I am sick over this news. Physically ill.
Please keep Daniel, Moses, Mike, the amazing woman who runs the homeless and refugee shelter in Vienna and the people who depend on her and all she does in your prayers. They are especially heavy on my heart today. When I went to Vienna for the first time in 2006, I never imagined that I would leave half of my heart there. I never imagined it would ache like this for people who have truly touched my life; they pull me closer to love. And to all of those who have been touched by these people and this shelter, you're right. It's going to be OK. Somehow, someway. Right? Right. That's what I am praying. Lord, come through.
She got the call today, one out of the grey

And when the smoke cleared, it took her breath away
She said she didn’t believe 'it could happen to me'
I guess we're all one phone call from our knees
If every building falls, and all the stars fade
We'll still be singing this song, the one they can't take away
I'm gonna get there soon, she's gonna be there too
Cryin' in her room, prayin' “Lord come through”
We're gonna get there soon
Oh, it's your light; oh, it's your way
Pull me out of the dark, just to shoulder the weight

Cryin' out now, from so far away
You pull me closer to love, closer to love
And don't apologize for all the tears you've cried
You've been way too strong now for all your life
I'm gonna get there soon, you're gonna be there too
Cryin' in your room, prayin' “Lord come through”
We're gonna get there soon.
(Mat Kearny)

No comments:

Post a Comment